Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Phantom Ants

We have ants.

I didn't say we have an ant problem, because I am not sure it is a problem. Just a couple of ants here and there and a lot of little lonely guys making their way across the vast of my kitchen counter or bathroom floor.

The other day I came to the sink, and my favorite glass was sitting outside of the sink. Inside was the remnants of ginger ale, and about 10 ants. There were zero ants on the outside of the glass. How the heck did they get inside there?

Yesterday I was sitting at the dining room table working and one single ant crawled across the table...all by himself. How did he get up there?

The thing is I am not complaining. We could have an ant problem. We could put down a spoon with a hint of peanut butter on it, and come back to a whole community of ants...but that is not what is happening. Instead we have a random sampling of ants in a random sampling of our house.

The problem is since these visitors showed up about a week ago every time I clean them up or kill one, for the rest of the day I feel them. They are on me. One is crawling on my back. I feel one on my leg. I have asked Jonathan three times in the last week "Is there an ant on my neck?"...there never is. I feel them on my face too, but I am too embarrassed to ask. So even though we don't have an ant problem I have a different problem...phantom ants.

No comments: